Where to stay in Bangkok
September 11, 2018
If you want to make the most of your trip, then choosing where to stay in Bangkok is the starting point. The city is a sprawling metropolis and making sure you are in the right part is essential.
Like most cities over the world Bangkok is split into several distinct districts and each is suitable for different trip purposes. If you end up in the wrong the part of Bangkok, you could end up wasting a lot of your visit traveling across the city, and this is no easy feat especially in rush hour.
So we firmly believe that making sure your hotel is in the correct part of the city is essential.
Below we have tried to breakdown the different types of traveler so we can recommend the best part to stay in to suit those types of travelers.
Where to stay in Bangkok for party animals
Bangkok has a thriving nightlife scene and is famous the world over for those looking to experience the best of the nightlife.
If this sounds like you and your main activity will be party the warm nights away then we recommend the following areas
- Sukhumvit Soi 4 area – Around here is a great location to stay for those looking to have an overall experience of the nightlife. You will be close to Soi 4 and Nana Plaza, walking distance to Soi 13 and the more up market bars/clubs. And on the skytrain system to get to Soi Cowboy and RCA (for the super clubs)
- Silom/Patpong – For gay travelers the main scene is located in the Silom area of Bangkok, which is also home to the Patpong Night Market. You will also be close the Skytrain to get to other areas of the city
- Huai Khwang – For those serious clubbers among the readers you will want to stay here. This is where all the big clubs are and the place is buzzing every night of the week. Not that easy to get to, if clubbing is your thing then you want stay around here.
Best area to stay for Shopping
Shopaholics will love Bangkok, the are literally retail therapy opportunities in every corner of the city. From large shopping malls to family run stalls on the corner of each Soi, and everything in between.
- Chitlom / Ploenchit – For the upmarket shopper among you the Chitlom Skytrain stop is the best place to stay in Bangkok. Not only will you find the best malls and upmarket boutiques here, but the accommodation options are similarly exclusive.
- Siam District – The central crossover of the Sky Train system, the Siam area is perfect not exploring the whole cities shopping. Not only that right on your doorstep will be a selection of the best mega malls in Bangkok.
- Pratunam – If your on a budget then this is a great spot for you. The Pratunam area offers great priced accommodation, awesome street food and some of the best markets in Bangkok. The markets here are not what you’d expect, they are sort of like malls, but instead of international brands, they are full of independent stall holders and businesses. A great place to grab a bargain.
Like many of the 15+ Million visitors a year, you are coming to experience Bangkok’s rich and diverse cultural heritage. Then you will not be disappointed.
To make the most of your visit make sure you stay in the “Bangkok Old Town” region of the city. This really is the epicenter of historic Bangkok.
Here you will be within walking distance of the following
- The Grand Palace
- Wat Phra Kaew
- National Gallery
- Rattanakosin Exhibition
- Chao Phraya River
- Lots of temples
Where to stay for all round visitors
If you are after a little of everything, some sightseeing in the day, partying at night and picking up a few treats for family members? Then you really need to stay along Sukhumvit road between Asoke and Chit Lom stations, here you will have easy access to the whole of Bangkok.
You will also have the best array of hotels to choose from, suitable for all budgets.